Thursday, April 2, 2015

Fried Shrimp Loaded Potato at Cou-Yon's Cajun Bar-B-Q

Fried shrimp loaded potato at Cou-Yon's in Port Allen
Fried shrimp loaded potato at Cou-Yon's in Port Allen (across the Mississippi River from Baton Rouge)
I walked into this barbecue joint in Port Allen (across the Mississippi from Baton Rouge) and said I didn't feel like barbecue. What?? Hey, I just had the worst BBQ in Texas last night at Rudy's, so I asked the nice lady at the counter what else did she suggest. She said they also have seafood (and lots of it). I was a little dazed after the hot drive through the bayou, and she could tell from the blank look on my face that I still couldn't decide what to get. She said, "Get the loaded potato. It's got fried shrimp on it. You'll love it. That's what I always get." But how is a potato supposed to be dinner? The other lady at the counter laughed and said, "Don't worry -- it will fill you up." Find out how I liked the loaded potato in my review of Cou-Yon's Cajun Bar-B-Q in Port Allen after the break.



It's a huge potato with sour cream, cheese, green and red onions, jalapenos, and of course fried shrimp. The shrimp were seasoned really well, and the tails were removed so I could eat a little faster. (Why doesn't everyone yank those tails off before they fry their shrimp??) A cup of BBQ sauce is on the side for dipping your shrimp or covering your potato.

And there's bacon. Of course there's bacon! Bacon and shrimp? Of course!


I ate the whole thing, potato skin and all. It was that good!

And yes, this did end up being my dinner.

Did I already mention the staff is really friendly? The staff is really friendly.

TIP: Cou-Yon's also has a food truck, so check their web site for where to find it.

Truth in advertising -- the sign says "Barbecue - Seafood - Potatoes" and that's what they serve.



Cou-Yons Cajun Bar-B-Q on Urbanspoon