Friday, April 3, 2015

Fried Catfish in a Truck Stop at Buff's Cafe

Fried catfish, hushpuppies and onion rings at Buff's Cafe in New Roads, Louisiana
Fried catfish, hushpuppies and onion rings at Buff's Cafe in New Roads, Louisiana
After a morning exploring downtown Baton Rouge and picking up a tip to take the Natchez Trace Parkway from Larry at TeachPreachPaint (be sure to check out his wonderful paintings), I crossed back over the Mississippi River to the small town of New Roads where the list of best eats on Urbanspoon tipped me off to a restaurant in a gas station. Read my full review of the fried catfish at Buff's Cafe and seafood restaurant in New Roads, Louisiana.



Buff's Cafe has plenty of tables and a pretty long menu. I missed the Friday special of crawfish on catfish, so I got just the fried catfish which includes hushpuppies, and either fries or onions rings. I got the rings.


The catfish is fried in a very thin corn flour batter, and it's just as fresh and tasty as you'd expect down South. There were plenty of pieces and I left really full.

The onions rings were also fried really well, although in a flour batter of course. Take a look at how big they are; I couldn't finish them all.

Salad included with the fried catfish meal


If you're driving along Highway 61 between Natchez and Baton Rouge, Buff's Cafe is only 10 minutes out of the way and you get to drive over a big bridge and check out small town life along the False River.

Share This!

Buff's Cafe on Urbanspoon