Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Worst BBQ in Texas at The Original Rudy's Country Store and Bar-B-Q

Smoked beef brisket at The Original Rudy's Country Store and Bar-B-Q in San Antonio
Smoked beef brisket at The Original Rudy's Country Store and Bar-B-Q in San Antonio
How can I leave Texas without having some barbecue? I can't. So I headed up to Leon Springs (just north of San Antonio) to The Original Rudy's Country Store and Bar-B-Q. Read my full review after the break.


Rudy's is the "Worst Bar-B-Q in Texas"
The nice lady behind the ice cream counter explained why Rudy's is the "worst BBQ in Texas." Back when Rudy's opened in 1989, everyone was calling their barbecue the best, so Rudy's wanted to be different. She also explained this is the original location, hence the "original" in Original Rudy's.


Rudy's is a like a giant road stand, with lots of covered benches, and a long window to pick up your sides and then your meat.


But you can't order without being offered some samples first. First I was handed a container of creamed corn, and then at the meat window I got some smoked turkey and sausage. Things were off to a good start!

Carry your meal in a no-nonsense plastic tray

Everything is a la carte at Rudy's, even the bread. I picked coleslaw and creamed corn for my sides. I had heard the creamed corn was good, and it really was. The sauce is very thick and creamy and sweet. The corn is not over-cooked and mushy, in fact it's almost under-cooked, so that the corn really holds up to all that cream.


The barbecue is also excellent. The beef brisket was lean and juicy, and had an excellent smoke ring and smoky flavor. The sausage was also delicious.

And the prices are very reasonable. You order the meats by the quarter pound, and the sausage by the half or whole link. My entire meal including a fountain soda was so cheap I had to ask the server if she had included everything in the total. We don't have cheap BBQ like this back in California!

Rudy's also has a market, ice cream, and even gas for a fill-up before you get back on the road.


Rudy's Country Store and Bar-B-Q on Urbanspoon