Monday, December 8, 2014

Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree, California as seen on No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain on The Travel Channel

Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree CA as seen on No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain
Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree CA as seen on No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain
Country Kitchen is a mom and pop coffee shop in Joshua Tree CA as seen on No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. Read my full review with pictures after the break.

Emma Jean's Holland Burger in Victorville
I passed Emma Jean's Holland Burger in Victorville on the way to Joshua Tree
Yesterday on my drive from Double D Cupcakes in Lancaster, I drove right past Emma Jean's Holland Burger. Check out both of my reviews of those places.

I walked from my hotel in Joshua Tree down the street to "downtown" Joshua Tree. Joshua Tree is a small town outside of the Joshua Tree National Park. I got to the Country Kitchen a little early and one of the owners let me in out of the cold desert air. Things were off to a friendly start.

Friendly and down-home atmosphere at the Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree CA
Friendly and down-home atmosphere at the Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree CA
Country Kitchen is run by a couple: he's the cook, and she runs the dining room. It feels like you're eating in their house because it's decorated more like a cozy home than a formal restaurant. And talk about friendly! He brings out your food himself when he's done cooking it, and she chats you up like you are a regular.

And speaking of regulars, a few minutes after I arrived, the locals started showing up. One guy just walked in and poured his own coffee! Talk about a regular. And friendly, as they were happy to chat with the out-of-town guy.

Country fried steak and eggs at Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree
Country fried steak and eggs at Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree
And the food is really good. I had the country fried steak with eggs, hash browns, and toast. You can also get home fries.

Homemade salsa at Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree
Homemade salsa at Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree
And salsa! The waitress / owner asked me if I wanted any, and I am glad I did. She makes it herself, and it's very unique. She's Asian and the salsa reflects Asian cooking. (There's also a noodle and tofu dish on the menu.)

Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree as seen on No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain
Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree as seen on No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain
The Country Kitchen in Joshua Tree is proud of their visit by Anthony Bourdain on No Reservations on The Travel Channel (see the show's California Desert travel guide information here).

Schnitzel in the Mojave Desert
Schnitzel in the Mojave Desert
After my breakfast at Country Kitchen, I drove through the Mojave Desert on my way to Phoenix.

Where's the friendliest place you ever ate? Let me know in the comments below.

Read more TV food show restaurant reviews from Steve's Been There
Steve's Been There




Country Kitchen on Urbanspoon