Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Pig Sandwich at San Antonio's Pig Stand

Pig Sandwich at San Antonio's Pig Stand
Pig Sandwich at San Antonio's Pig Stand
Sometimes it's fun to just be a tourist, and what's more touristy than taking the double-decker sightseeing bus? As I rode around downtown San Antonio, suddenly a bright pink pig came into view. It disappeared as the bus drove by, so I quickly looked it up and realized I had just found my spot for lunch. So after my stroll along the River Walk, I had lunch at San Antonio's Pig Stand. Read my full review after the break.




I ordered the Pig Sandwich Combo, which includes coleslaw, fries, and onion rings. Yes, you read that right: fries AND onions rings. Both are very good, but the fries were especially good as they were extra thick and crispy on the outside, while still being fluffy and tender on the inside.


The Pig Sandwich is slices of roast pork with barbecue sauce. You can add lettuce, pickles and onions. The sauce is very thin which went well with the juicy pork. I liked this sandwich a lot. I also liked how quickly it arrived at my table. A diner should be all about fast service. And I got to wash it all down with sweet tea -- this must be the South!

I asked about the name. Originally it was just The Pig Stand. Then it was The Texas Pig Stand. And then it was Mary Ann's Pig Stand. And now it's San Antonio's Pig Stand.

Whatever it's called, you can get a tasty pork sandwich served up quick and it doesn't cost a lot.

TIP: San Antonio's Pig Stand is just a couple of blocks off the River Walk (near the Pearl Brewery) so if you find yourself in the area, be sure to stop in for a Pig Sandwich.