Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Artisan Sandwiches at Fred Meyer


Sometimes all there is time for during a long road trip is to grab a quick sandwich to go and eat it later on in the car. We also needed to fill up the tank, so we tried to do both at once. We were heading south on I-5 from Eugene towards the Bay Area, and found a place where could fill up the car and our stomachs at the same time -- Fred Meyer in Medford, Oregon.

I dropped my wife off at the front and drove over to the fuel pumps next to the Fred Meyer store. Oregon is one of only two states were you can't pump your own gas, although if you have a diesel car you can pump it yourself. As it turns out, I do have a diesel but I enjoy letting someone else pump it (it's a lot smellier than gasoline). And I saved 10 cents a gallon using my Fred Meyer rewards card :)

Meanwhile, my wife discovered the lady at the deli counter in the Fred Meyer was busy making sandwiches for the day. She had a pile of sandwiches she just made, and when my wife picked the ones she wanted, the lady cut and wrapped them.

These sandwiches are piled high with meat, and the bread is fresh and delicious. For a supermarket, these are definitely artisan sandwiches!

And we felt these were a bargain at $4.49 and $4.99. Each sandwich was enough for both of us to split. We had one later in the car for lunch, and the other for dinner that night after we got home. It was nice not having to run to the store after a long trip just to pick up dinner.

Half of the Pastrami artisan sandwich at Fred Meyer
Half of the Pastrami artisan sandwich at Fred Meyer
Highlander Roast Beef artisan sandwich at Fred Meyer
Highlander Roast Beef artisan sandwich at Fred Meyer
And there's so much more at Fred Meyer. We've been to many of them during our recent visits to Seattle and Portland, and they offer clothes, electronics, jewelry, garden supplies, and there was even one in an upscale neighborhood we found with a wine tasting bar!

Just a note -- not all Fred Meyers have gas pumps, and I can't vouch for the sandwiches at every single location. If you've got a Fred Meyer to recommend, please let me know in the comments below.