Monday, November 10, 2014

Cornbread Cafe in Eugene, OR as seen on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri

Cornbread Cafe is a vegan diner in Eugene, Oregon as seen on Diners, Drive-Ins as Dives
Cornbread Cafe is a vegan diner in Eugene, Oregon as seen on Diners, Drive-Ins as Dives
Cornbread Cafe is a vegan diner in Eugene, OR as seen on the Old School Joints episode of Diners, Drive-Ins as Dives. It has the booths and counter stools from an old diner with updated paint and quirky decor. I had been planning on visiting a food truck but my friends and I decided to stay out of the rain and visited here instead. We went one day last week.


Inside the Cornbread Cafe in Eugene, Oregon
Are we glad we decided to try Cornbread Cafe! It's been a while since I've been to a vegan restaurant and the friendly waitress answered a lot of questions for us. Where's the cheese come from? (cashews) How about the bacon? (she explained it but I didn't understand what she was talking about)

One of my friends is a meat & potatoes kind of guy and we had to drag him into the Cornbread Cafe. But he loved it, and in fact was the first to finish his lunch!

Eugenewich and mac unCheese at Cornbread Cafe

The inside of the Eugenewich
I had the signature sandwich, the Eugenewich: fried tofu, bacon (not pork, obviously), lettuce, tomato and thousand island sauce. It was really delicious. On the side I had the mac un-cheese which was OK but a little heavy on the garlic and kind of dry. It might not have been garlic if that was the way the cashew cheese tastes.

Fried tofu salad
My formerly all-meat friend had the fried tofu salad. The greens were super fresh and locally-sourced as you would expect from a vegan joint in Oregon.

Grilled un-cheese sandwich and mashed potatoes
My other friend had the grilled (un)cheese sandwich and mashed potatoes. She said it was very good.

I really enjoyed my lunch at Cornbread Cafe and will absolutely return again the next time I am in Eugene. Another great recommendation from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives!

Do you like vegan food? Let me know in the comments below.

Check out the other places I've eaten at in Eugene.

Guy Fieri's autograph on the wall at Cornbread Cafe
Read more about Cornbread Cafe in the HappyCow Cookbook with recipes from vegan restaurants around the world -- it's an excellent book with delicious vegan recipes.



Cornbread Cafe web site http://www.cornbreadcafe.com/

Cornbread Cafe on Urbanspoon



Maps for Diners, DriveIns and Dives, Man v. Food and more