Friday, January 30, 2015

My Bucket List


I've got a long list of restaurants, diners, and shacks I want to visit. I keep lists by city, but they've gotten so long that I decided to start keeping them on my blog so I'd be able to share them with other foodies. So be warned, none of these places is likely to be Michelin-starred or expensive, but they do seem like they will be great eats. Read my foodie bucket list after the jump.

Bombay Pizza House in Fremont, CA

I don't remember how I found out about this place; maybe just from a random web site ad, or maybe just wandering around on Yelp. But now that I've read the reviews on Yelp and checked their menu, I want to try this insane clash of cultures. Pizza and Indian? Why not! The tandoori chicken pizza and the curry chicken pizza both sound amazing. I would probably order a large pizza that was half of each.

The Griddle Cafe in Hollywood, CA

The giant red velvet pancake looks delicious! I don't really need the over-sized carbs and sugar, but I want to try this anyway. Check out this YouTube video review of The Griddle Cafe.

The Sandwich League in Eugene, OR

I've spent some time in Eugene (check out my Eugene food reviews here) and loved everything I ate there, but just missed trying this food truck. It was recently on DDD and Guy Fieri said the pork on pork sandwich was the thing to get. Check them out on Facebook.

Blue Star Donuts in Portland, OR

A few months ago I spent a week in Eugene with friends, and we took a day trip up to Portland for a visit to Powell's City Books and of course, Voodoo Doughnuts. While we were waiting in line (seems like there is ALWAYS a line!), discussing our choices, a couple of friendly kids in front of us suggested we try Blue Star. While the also enjoyed Voodoo, they said for us to be sure and try Blue Star as their donuts were generally less-sweet and worth comparing to Voodoo. Here is the Blue Star location on Urbanspoon I'm planning on visiting. A creme brûlée donut??? Yes, please!

The Crab Pot in Seattle, WA

Any place I've tried that's been on Man Vs. Food has been a winner. So despite some gripes on Yelp about small portions, I want to try the crab boil at The Crab Pot on the wharf in Seattle. Besides, it reminds me of a crab boil we had a few years ago at The Cracked Crab in Pismo Beach which we really enjoyed.

Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas, NV

OK, I realize this place might have a bad reputation for some people, but the last time I stayed in Downtown Las Vegas, I walked by, stared in the window, and was intrigued by the diners in hospital gowns. Then I read in a few different places that the burgers are actually pretty good, and now I want to try it for myself. Read the reviews on Yelp to see if you would try this burger joint. And it's down the street from Container Park which seems interesting. Finish your Bypass Burger or get spanked! And they have their own diet program. TIP: It's cash only (I guess in case you don't live long enough to pay your bill).

DJ's Clam Shack in Key West, FL

I don't know if this place will be especially good, but I'd love to take the drive all the way to the most southern point in the contiguous US to find out. I could probably do a lot worse than trying the conch fritters and fried clam strips while basking in the Florida sun.

The Garlic in New Smyrna Beach, FL

I love a great steak, but am usually too cheap to visit a lot of steak houses. But the garlic-encrusted steaks at The Garlic near Miami look like they are incredible. Big fire oven in the center of the place with garlic cloves roasting: sounds like a place to visit on my drive north from Key West. Read the reviews of The Garlic on Yelp.

Pier Burger in Santa Monica, CA

As seen on on World Food Cruiser. I love the Route 66 end post marker! I've driven most of Route 66 and already made it all the way to this end of the trail. I was here last summer with my nephews but hadn't started my food blog yet, so I only have a few pictures. I remember liking the burgers and kids ate everything on their plates, so this seems like a good place to return and do a full review. Pier Burger reminds me of Hodad's in Ocean Beach, San Diego. And it's got 4 stars on Yelp.


Read more TV food show restaurant reviews from Steve's Been There
Steve's Been There