Saturday, March 28, 2015

French Fare in the New Mexico Desert at Le Rendez-vous Cafe


Never one to pass on a Las Cruces dining suggestion from Melodie (be sure to read her Mochi in the Desert blog), I picked up dinner and what turned out to also be the following day's lunch at a French cafe and pastry shop. French food in the New Mexico desert? Why not? Read my full review of Le Rendez-vous Cafe in Las Cruces after the break.

Le Rendez-vous Cafe is part bakery, pastry shop, and cafe. Their menu has sandwiches, salads, pastries, and desserts. There is plenty of indoor seating to keep you cool from the desert sun.

Picacho sandwich at Le Rendez-vous Cafe in Las Cruces
Picacho sandwich at Le Rendez-vous Cafe in Las Cruces
Picacho sandwich at Le Rendez-vous Cafe in Las Cruces
Picacho sandwich at Le Rendez-vous Cafe in Las Cruces
All the sandwiches looked delicious, so I picked one named after the street the cafe is on. And I picked right! The Picacho is turkey (and lots of it), Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, and avocado. The avocado was firm and fresh (as were all the dressings). You get your choice of bread and I picked a croissant.

The sandwich includes a side. I got the roasted veggies. Turned out to be a good choice.

Salad Nicoise at Le Rendez-vous Cafe in Las Cruces
Salad Nicoise at Le Rendez-vous Cafe in Las Cruces
For my salad, I actually knew what I wanted and picked the Salad Nicoise. This was another winner, with fresh lettuce greens topped with egg, potato, tomatoes, onions, olives, capers, asparagus, and a huge scoop of tuna. The tuna was simply tuna -- no oil, no mayonnaise. It was fresh and delicious, as was the entire salad. I was offered my choice of dressing and I picked vinaigrette.


TIP: Le Rendez-vous Cafe closes at 3:30.

If you're in Las Cruces and need a change of pace from Mexican food, be sure to visit Le Rendez-vous Cafe. And also visit Melodie's blog for more tips on what to eat in Las Cruces and southern New Mexico.



Le Rendez-vous Cafe on Urbanspoon